Development of a branding logic and set of logos which accounts for shifting disposal methods and for future breakthroughs in materials science and manufacturing.
- plastic codes confused with recycling codes
- there is no recycling code
- not specific enough, for example 7 means "other" which include biodegradable plastcis made out of corn surup as well as ______
- Working with manufacturers
- Educating current users
- Coordinating with on-going programs.
- Special case scenarios.
- Has to work in black and white as well as color.
- Must be able to be printed or stamped.
- Must account for all forms of waste management that the public is responsible for sorting
Future proofing and Automation
Ultimately, more granular forms are done by machines. These machine sort waste through a series of belt which toss the waste separating it via physical properties. Waste is also often sorted by hand. For example, bottle caps are often removed by hand.
A fiducial symbol may ultimately be a good fit for automated sorting.
We have some catching up to do. Countries such as Germany have already passed legislation requiring co-incineration plants, the US primarily uses landfills.
- Less waste going to landfills.
- Energy recovery- converting waste into electricity.
Preparing for all stages of future waste reduction efforts.
- Prepare for further breakthroughs in material science.
- Work at the local, state and national level.
- Involve stake holders- consider limitations of manufacturing (for example some large corporations buy their cups five years in advance).